I don’t have any formal training as a developer. I started my informal IndieDev Education in May 2012.
Prior to that I received my degree in Mechanical Engineering with a focus on Aeronautical Engineering
I then went into the United States Army to be an Infantry Officer for 5 years
These are the different categories I place my education into. Click on the ones you’re most interested in or click on them all! If you need help learning, I wrote a post on some tips for it.
Though I tried reading and learning in a lot of different categories, after the initial 2 years of trying to learn everything, I decided to focus on less. Here’s what I’m continuing my education in
- Artist – I didn’t know anything about Art starting out. Now I can create working models and concepts.
- Designer – A Video Game has a lot of different parts to it. From Story, to Level Design, to Camera View, it all comes together to make the final product.
These are the areas that I made a conscious decision not focus on (as much). It hurt too, because I do enjoy some, but I think becoming really good at something is more rewarding than doing everything
- Musician – I really loved learning music. Unfortunately, after reading a bunch of business books, I realized I can’t spread myself so thin, so I stopped pursuing this education for now.
- Programmer – My degree in Engineering helped me to understand Programming in some way I think. I’m a programmer lite.
- Business – Making Video Games means we’re entrepreneurs. Entrepreneurs need to know business to succeed
- Marketer – I concentrated a lot of my efforts on this because in many Video Game Postmortems, marketing constantly became the #1 fail of indies.
Non Video Game Education
They are still a big part of my life, and they influence my games and outlook.
- Military – Before Video Games I served in the United States Military as an Infantry Officer. Look inside to see what I learned
- Faith – I’m a Christian, so this forms the foundation of my beliefs. I’d like to become more knowledgeable in it though.
- Politics – I’m not sure how to articulate my political views. I plan on leveling it up by self study.
- Life – This is education for living life. Pretty much any books I read that don’t fit in the above categories.
I like to keep a record of my educational growth. It helps motivate me when I see that I’m growing in knowledge and skill.
Stay Up to Date
Join Lion Root to stay up to date with my learning and game development!