I really do enjoy the arts, but you can’t be great at all of them, at least not without years of experience.
I’ve left music for someone else in my company.
Here’s the training I did when I dove into it:
Gold Tier (None)
Items in this tier wowed me.
Items in this tier provided me supreme value for the cost and time invested
- Massive Masterclass Course – $40 – I finished this whole tutorial, and felt real comfortable with Massive afterwards. Great training, especially when I wanted to get more involved with Dubstep and Chiptunes.
- Music Theory for Computer Musicians Book – $25 – This blew my mind. As an engineer, my mind thinks in formulas. Who knew that there were formulas for music! This instantly made making music much more understanding to me. Eventually, I bough the Ableton Push, because it uses those formulas to keep notes in key.
Items in this tier provided me a good amount of value for the cost and time invested
- Tornado Twins Dubstep Tutorials – Free – This helped my feet get wet in making music, especially Dubstep. It also influenced me to get Massive and Ableton.
- Sound Design with Massive Course – $40 – More courses I took on Massive. It’s a real powerful plugin.
Items in this tier provided me some value for the cost and time invested
- Pro Tools 10 for Game Audio – $30 – I used this book to start to understand Pro Tools more. It helped to understand how to record in a studio, for the future, if I need it. Otherwise, it just helped with understanding Pro Tools 10 more.
White Tier (None)
Items in this tier provided me little to no value for the cost and time invested
Grey Tier (None)
Items in this tier felt like value was taken away from me for the cost and time invested
I think music is very powerful. Some of my favorite games utilize wonderful music, and hearing that brings back the memories more than any pictures ever could.
Yet, I don’t think that my talents lie in making that music. I know I need great music, but I won’t be the one to deliver, and so, my music education is on indefinite hold.
Join Lion Root to stay up to date with my learning and game development!
In the interest of transparency, many of the links are affiliate links. Some things I’ve read aren’t the strongest books out there, so I’ve left those out so you don’t have to waste your time or money on them like I did.